Your Legal Rights if You or a Loved One is Suffering from a Dog Bite or Animal Attack
If you or a family member have been the victim of a dog bite or animal attack, The Boccardo Law Firm can help ease your pain and suffering. For more than 80 years, our law firm has fought to protect the legal rights of dog injury accident victims. As a result, our experienced attorneys help people injured by Dog Bites and Animal Attacks to recover compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more. We have the know-how, the skills and the resources to effectively handle your dog or animal bite injury claim.
Who is Responsible When a Dog or Animal Bites You?
In California, California Civil Code section 3342 covers dog and animal bites. The law states that an owner is liable for another person’s damages in a civil lawsuit if:
- The person’s injury is caused by a dog bite; and
- The person was in a public place or lawfully in a private place when the bite occurred.
That means that even if you are legally visiting someone and you know that they have a vicious dog or animal, the owner has a responsibility to ensure that you are not mauled, attacked, or bitten by the dog or animal.
The laws in California are very favorable to those suffering from a Dog Bite and Animal Attacks, even a pet. For example, if your cat is on your property and it gets attacked by a dog, the dog’s owner is responsible for the harm caused to your cat, including veterinary bills. For this reason, owning a dog or animal is a major responsibility and should not be taken lightly.
The Facts About Dog and Animal Bites
Although dog or animal ownership is a serious, personal responsibility, some owners do not take it seriously. As a result, Dog Bites and Animal Attacks continue to be be a major problem.
- Each day, approximately 1,000 people require emergency care treatment for a dog bite injury.
- 86% Of the attacks result in bodily harm.
- 71% Of bites occur on the arms, hands, legs and feet.
- Every year the insurance industry pays over one billion dollars in dog bite claims.
Steps to Take if You Suffer a Dog or Animal bite
- Identify the dog or animal and its owner. Obtain the names and addresses of the dog or animal owner and any gather witness information, including names and phone numbers.
- Seek Medical Care. Always seek professional medical treatment after suffering a dog or animal bite due to the risk of infection.
- File a Dog Bite Report. After you are medically treated, file a dog bite report with the proper authorities. This documents your case.
Call The Boccardo Law Firm for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one are a victim of a dog or animal bite, contact The Boccardo Law Firm. We represent dog and animal bite victims in San Jose, the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California. Let us protect your rights and seek justice. Call us at 408-298-5678 for a free consultation.